Thursday, March 11, 2010

Women's Reservation Bill

Ever since I was in college, I have been against reservation whether it is based on caste/religion or gender. I believe in equality for all. Let me explain my opposition using numbers.

I studied in Pune University. There the reservation structure is:

Category

Reservation Percentage

SC

13 %

ST

7 %

DT (A)

3 %

NT (B)

2.5 %

NT (C)

3.5 %

NT (D)

2 %

OBC

19 %

Refer (http://www.unipune.ernet.in/dept/geography/mscgeoinfo_files/pgbscselection.htm)

Lets assume that a particular course has 100 seats, which means

Category

Seats Reserved

SC

13

ST

7

DT(A)

3

NT(B)

3 (since 2.5 seats insnt possible)

NT(C)

4

NT(D)

2

OBC

19

OPEN

20

Now where did 29 seats disappear is what I will be asked… well they are what is popularly called

Now SC & ST form 16.2% & 8.2 % of population (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India#CIA_World_Factbook_demographic_statistics)

I could not find the population break up for Nt-A,B,C,D and DT, so I am assuming a similar percentage as reservation + 1%

OBC population is counted at 32%

So if total number of students applying for the course is 1000

Category

Population %

Students#

Seats#

Ratio(Seats#/Students#)

SC

16.2

162

13

0.080

ST

8.2

82

7

0.085

DT(A)

4

40

3

0.075

NT(B)

3.5

35

3

0.085

NT(C)

4.5

45

4

0.088

NT(D)

3

30

2

0.066

OBC

32

320

19

0.059

OPEN

100*

1000*

49

0.049

*This is because Open seats are not reserved for forward class people but are literally open for everyone. Also I have not subtracted the management quota from the number of seats.

I feel that reservation creates a feeling of resentment in the forward classes. It was not our generation that mistreated anyone on caste basis, but with the reservation system, an unfair advantage is given to people belonging to a certain caste, which makes a complete mockery of Indian Constitution proclaiming India to be a “SECULAR” country.

I know of the creamy layer restriction put forth by the supreme court, but have often seen people belonging to affluent families, getting seats due to their caste and more deserving students having to search other options as they belong to the so called forward castes.

In my humble opinion… its time to abolish reservations in totality and not promote women’s reservation bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment